Tuesday, March 15, 2011

If not now, when?

A few days ago I read an interesting post  about the power of putting your most important work first, before the day is overrun with stuff that doesn't matter. This got me thinking about how I've been planning a blog since the Mesozoic era. In no particular order, here were some of my roadblocks:
  • my blog would look stupid;
  • people would rather read cereal boxes and no one would ever comment;
  • good blogs have a specific focus, and I am all over the place;
  • serious Buddhist practitioners would lecture me on monkey mind;
  • I would inadvertently hurt someones feelings and/or my kids would be embarrassed;
  • and on and on.
But today, plagued by a full-to-bursting mind and the need to stop oversharing on Facebook, I decided to jump in. Who knew it would be so easy to create a blog? All this time I could have been pestering you with my petty grievances and bad recipes.

As for monkey mind, I have a terminal case. Those monkeys bring me a boatload of great ideas, and my biggest problem is that some people actually expect me to do something with them. But that's another topic for another day. For now let's just say that I'm at peace with my varied interests, and those are what I want to share with you.

3 comments:

  1. Monkey mind, huh! I can so relate, I have tons of things on my mind to do at the start of each day, but somehow, I just sit and scratch under my arms (for the lack of a better term) for most of day. How does one get a monkey to actually accomplish things????

    Deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deirdre, I'm so glad I'm in good company! From what I've seen, you've gotten your monkeys to cooperate beautifully! But your comment gave me some food for thought -- a great topic to turn the monkeys loose with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I think I have a terminal case of monkey mind. And I'm looking forward to reading your musings, rambling and not.

    ReplyDelete